[AT] Canola to diesel

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Feb 5 17:01:09 PST 2007

This discussion has raised so much dust that I became curious what current
MB diesel engines compression ratios actually are.  Went to their web site
and found that many of their current offerings are gasoline these
days -requiring 91 octane with an 11.2:1 ratio.  I finally found a diesel in
their SUV lineup that has a compression ratio of 18:1, certainly high enough
to be able to ignite diesel on compression alone.  Maybe this new  clean
burn technology stuff requires higher compression than the 180s and the
older ones did, but 18:1 is comparable to any 'merican made diesel.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H