[AT] Shop LP Plumbing

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Dec 28 18:44:59 PST 2007

--On Friday, December 28, 2007 7:29 PM -0600 "Gene Waugh Elgin, Illinois
USA" <gwaugh at wowway.com> wrote:

> Not positive, but pretty sure that copper IS OK for LPG but NOT for
> Natural gas.  As Chuck says, there is something in nat gas that attacks
> cupper.  Sulphurous compounds??
>
> --
> /Gene
> Gene Waugh
> Elgin, Illinois USA/

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

	Natural gas has moisture in it. LP is dry. The reason that The gas company
wouldn't run a gas line to my old house 20 years ago was that they said
that since it was down the hill from the main line that they would have to
install a special setup (I forget what it was) that would deal with the
water that would accumulate.
	Around here if you call a propane dealer and have him come and set a tank
and run lines into a house they will run "EVERYTHING" in flexible copper.
They will set a regulator at the tank to bring it down from the roughly 125
PSI down to about 10 PSI to run to the house. There they will set another
regulator which IIRC is set at about 6 PSI (not Inches of water column,
natural gas is inches of water column). On natural gas here they like a
regulator at each appliance. On LP they don't use them. I have "NEVER" seen
a drip leg on an LP installation here but natural gas requires them.
	BTW, some PEX (cross linked polyethylene) is now approved for gas use in
some cases. Some of it is also approved for compressed air.

	As an added note an old friend (now deceased) told me once that they had
bought some expensive plastic gas pipe to run natural gas from his gas well
to his house back years ago. He also said that they ran a line at the same
time using cheap black poly pipe to feed a tenant house farther away. Some
years later the expensive line to his house fell apart and had to be
replaced. The cheap poly line is still down there still working.

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA