[AT] Check planting

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 27 20:19:05 PST 2007

Rows were 42" in KS; a few were 40".
As already stated, this was before the days of fertilizers and weed
killers.  Our only fertilizer was from cleaning the cattle barn, corral,
etc and the chicken houses, and spreading it on the less fertile areas.
I can remember Dad enthused with a yield of forty bushel / acre corn, as it
provided a good profit.  Also, remember this was open pollenated   seed
corn, good corn price, no fertilizer cost, no herbicides cost,  low taxes,
and low fuel cost.   Also, no combining cost (shucked by hand) and no very
expensive combine. And no drying costs.
Certainly some huge differences from todays situations.
Herb

Plant