[AT] Check planting

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 18:45:59 PST 2007

I can remember our first sprayer in the early 60's.  It was mounted on the drawbar of our IH H.  The tank was a 55 gal drum, PTO roller pump and booms for 6 rows.  The booms appeared to be copper or brass pipes that were both structure and the plumbing.  The only chemical I ever remember Dad using in it was 2-4-D.

I planted about 4 acres of corn a few years ago, for "play" mostly at the point of a milo field.  The land handn't been cropped in many years and had a bad investation of Ash sprouts.  I sprayed it with my ATV sprayer with the corn was about 12" with the cheapest 2-4-D from the farm store.  It only kills broad leaves, but in that field, it did a pretty good job.

We had a very dry year and my son had a FFA calf, so we would cut green stalks every few days to feed it.  Calves seem to do pretty good on green stalks.

Len Rugen