[AT] Check planting (was) Homemade tractors.

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Dec 23 10:37:32 PST 2007

We had a hand planter for replanting.  We also used it for planting in the
kitchen garden.  Dad used to reset the number of seeds or kernels for each
drop in between each item that we planted.  The thing I remember is seeing
my father stride straight across the field and placing the planter in the
ground on every step.  In those days, seed bed preparation required plowing,
disking, and harrowing with a drag behind it.  But Dad could plant beans,
melon, corn, and some other vegetables without marking rows simply by using
the hand planter.  I noticed last spring that the large melon farms here in
the toe of Indiana no longer till the entire field.  Their version of
No-till has a bunch of workers spread out across the fields planting hills
of melons by hand.  When I saw this in action last spring, I thought they
could have made use of a hand planter for the operation.

Larry