[AT] Farmall Cub

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 26 04:37:45 PST 2007

I was staying out of this thread, but I have to agree with George: I
only have 5 of them - one with a 22 sickle bar, one with an IH C-3, one
with a C-42, one with a Woods L59, and a 184 with an IH 60" (no name)
rotary. All of them do their jobs just fine within their limits. For
many years I cut about 6 acre of my and a neighbor's grass with either
the C-3 or the Woods, but they weren't great with very thick tall grass
that I have here in the Spring. Sometimes I had to cut half width swaths
just to get the stuff down. But, once the initial heavy growth stopped
in late May, I could use the Cubs for a very nice job. Of course, if you
have a lot of low branches, narrow paths, and complex garden borders, a
5' mower on a farm tractor isn't going to be ideal. Since I got the 184,
I have pretty much given up on the Woods and IH C-3 - it is more
powerful, rides lower, and has an electric "live" PTO. When the grass
really gets ahead of me, I use the Farmall 340 with a Woods RM-306
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/f340_8_24_03b.html>.
That works well, but is only suited to open areas, for obvious reasons.

As others have suggested, the key to effective cutting with a Cub is
keeping the blades sharp and the engine in tune.

For my Farmall Cubs, see:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_cubs/> and for the 184, see:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_184/>

And I have been an ATIS member since the Forsyth County days but have no
idea when that was. I used to type the Lancaster Farming "Mailbox
Markets" ads in by hand (with a lot of typo's!), since the paper wasn't
on-line back then. :-)

Mike