[AT] Check planting

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Dec 24 05:26:10 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "ERNST BORCHERT" <eb3 at shelby.net>

> I have been trying to figure out what check planting is and after
> searching it seems to me as it is the same as we used to plant orange
> trees
> in Orange County, California. The trees were planted 20 feet apart both up
> and down and across. We cultivated them up and down and across. When the
> trees were young you could see a straight row of trees just about any
> angle
> you looked.
> Merry Christmas from Western North Carolina.

    Yes Ernst, you are exactly right. Except corn wouldn't yield much spaced
20' apart...   ;-)
    Check planting died very quickly when 2-4-D came along for broadleaf
weed control.
    I'm too lazy to do the math but I have wondered how many seeds you would
need per hill to get a seed count up to today's seeds per acre rates which
are getting up to around 30,000.   :-)

--
"farmer"

Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path
and leave a trail.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net