[AT] Check planting

Al Jones aljones at ncfreedom.net
Mon Dec 24 06:53:55 PST 2007

If you don't plant at least 27,000 in eastern NC, you're not doing much.
32,000 is not unusual.

I have a bag full of "heirloom" corn.  It was some my great-grandfather,
my dad's mother's father, (!!??) used to plant.  It grows very tall, has
a huge ear with big kernels.  But you have to space it out....I usually
plant it about 18" apart, 2-3 kernels to the hill.

I didn't plant any this year, but I did last year and it made a good
crop--but probably not in today's terms.  It makes good cornbread
though....

Al