[AT] grounds

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Thu Dec 20 06:28:48 PST 2007

I understand all that. the main disconnect is FIRST disconnected, and
the meter is pulled. Then the cords are plugged into the outlets. Then
the Generator is started warmed up and then and only then is the
generator breaker switched on. I am the only one who knows how to do
this here and the only one who can get the generator started. If I could
afford a transfer switch, then I would buy one. For 200 amp service it
is $1000 for a manual switch. For 100 amp single phase ii is $170. I am
installing one on my MIL's house because she only has 100 amp service.
When I ask salesmen about the price of the 200 amp they just tell me
that is due to the industrial duty switch and the liability....... There
should not be more than $100 difference, but if they can get it, then
that is what the price is.
In no way would I endanger a lineman or anyone else doing this. I had to
do the meter pulling on my MIL's house last week. When she asked a
lineman working in the neoghborhood if he could unhook her generator and
reconnect the meter, he said no. But he thanked her for doing it the
"right" way to protect them. The linemen I have talked to this past week
from out of state said they did not trust the automatic transfer
switches. They only trusted manual switches for disconnects, and really
preferred pulling the meter.

Your point is taken.

I do not consider myself an expert, but I can wire buildings and
equipment professionally and SAFELY

Cecil in OKla