[AT] ATIS Charity Auction

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Thu Dec 13 05:49:18 PST 2007

Mattias -

In the more northerly areas of New York State (and other northern US states) a favorite small fish is the smelt. They run up creeks (usually at night) from deep-water cold lakes each early spring to spawn, and we use long-handled nets to "dip" a bunch. Cleaned and beheaded, we coat and deep fry them until golden brown and can eat bones and all. The best ones are the smaller ones of 5-6 inches long. Some like to eat them with a cocktail sauce, but I enjoy mine plain.

Bob