[Steam-engine] Boiler Inspections

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 13:52:49 PST 2007

I don't know why you would think that we don't want
top hear from you Ken.  I have gotten lots of
knowledge and useful information from you over the
years.  Lawrence mentioned appendix C and I will
confess that I am asking questions because Appendix C
may be comming to Indiana soon.  The steam owners are
even putting together an Association to work with the
state on inspection issues.  I figured that the best
thing that I can do is to educated myself on what
other jurisdictions do.  I'm looking for good and bad
things.  You mentioned that there is some descrepancy
on which FS an inspector uses.  We need to make sure
that this is in black and white and not dependant on a
subjective inspector.  Can someone tell me where I can
read appendix C?  Our group wants to insure that we
are running safe boilers.  The focus will be to make
sure that inspection requirements are appropriate to
our historic boilers.

--- Ken Majeski <fuller_johnson1 at msn.com> wrote:

> Well.... You Probably Don't want to hear from me...
> :) Here in Wisconsin we pretty much alternate
> between a Internal and a Hydro Every other year with
> a UT Every 5 years... There is rumor some inspectors
> are doing an In Service inspection also... At Least
> I know of one that has done some.
>
> Problem we have is in the safty factors.... Some
> inspectors require 5... Some 4, Some will allow 4
> with Proof of at least 55,000 Tensil strength.... I
> know of 2 guys that had to cut a piece out  and have
> it tested. Our inspectors will Not do UT... You have
> to have that done by somebody else...
>
> The real Kicker is that so far ASME Boilers aren't
> required to UT at All... My Case was never UT'd for
> the state and was current untill July 2006. This was
> No Doubt a decision by someone that Didn't think
> that any ASME traction boilers were built.... Some
> engines are required to have 2 separate water
> feeds... While I see many at shows that only have
> one...????
>
> Some of us are Kinda waiting on the "New Appendix C"
> which will put the Safety Factor and UT Issue in
> Black and White so we know where we stand....
>
> So Far we have No Reciprocity but we are trying to
> get that changed....
>
> I haven't had my engine inspected lately as I
> haven't taken it off the farm anyway....  Maybe if
> they get all the inconsistancies ironed out that
> could change.... ????Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis.
> Case Steam Engine, Rumely Oilpulls H, F & R. Bunch
> Of Gas Engines. > Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:15:37

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN