[AT] Truth on the Internet and elsewhere

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Dec 10 11:38:37 PST 2007

LOL!  That's one of the pitfalls of the Internet -- you can't tell anything
about the truth of the material that's on it.  Wikipedia is particularly bad
about allowing myths and mis-information to be propagated.  I ran into this
nearly 10 years ago when trying to verify what material Gutenberg used when
he invented moveable type.  There are thousands of websites on the Internet
devoted to the supposed documentation of that invention, but if you examine
them closely, you'll find that a majority of them have been generated by the
students in middle school classes as part of a science project.  Somehow, I
find it hard to trust a group of 12-year olds to accurately report the
facts.  After several days of searching, I finally found a website sponsored
by Gutenberg's home town in Germany that has it right.  They are doing the
only thing they can do in the face of the mountains of mis-information that
is out there -- they are sponsoring their own site that tells the story the
right way, including the legal problems he ran into because the authorities
found him hording lead and accused him of alchemy to turn lead into gold.
Sixty years or so ago, it was even stated in textbooks that Gutenberg's
original invention used hardwood for the letters.  That's not so, but it is
an example of how far stories can veer from the truth.

So when people, including some on this list, hold to myths and old wives'
tales that fly in the face of the laws of physics, chemistry, other
sciences, and history, there are others of us who will cry "foul" very
loudly.  It's the only way we have of trying to assure that the threads we
produce have any credibility.

When "The DaVinci Code" was published, we had a dinner guest who is an
historian.  He got very worked up over the inaccuracies and blatant lies
that are in the book and was ready to take on the world to correct them.  I
stopped him as he was getting ready to leave after an evening of dinner and
conversation and I said, "Dan, it's a NOVEL!"  He thought about it for a
moment and then finally said, "Oh."

We're always very close to gross mis-representations.  I understand that a
movie opened this weekend across the country that had a very poor showing at
the box office.  It is now predicted that the movie will not ever make
enough money to pay off the $300 million that it took to produce it.
Apparently, the public saw the premise as so bizarre and unbelievable that
they aren't even bothering to go see it.

Larry