[AT] oil change

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Fri Dec 7 16:56:34 PST 2007

During the Ice storm of Jan-Feb2001 here in Central OK, we were running
on a generator. It had a 6 cyl continental and was only 15KW.  We had
about 2 inches of ice on everything for 10 days before it began to thaw
out.  About 2am, the generator would develop an icing problem.  It would
slow down to about 30 cycles. The carburetor would have about 2 inches
of frost on the outside. The first time, I held a torch under the
carburetor to get it warm enough that I could get back inside the barn
and warm up and figure out what to do.  I found a 5 gallon can of
Methanol, and put a gallon in the gas tank of the generator.  In about 2
minutes it started running great.  Our electric coop was selling Coleman
generators since they had about 5 thousand customers out of electricity
and later about 350,000 poles down.  The Coleman rep said to use Premium
gas in the generators or use gas drier because regular unleaded has a
lot of water in it and a surfactant to keep it mixed..    We mixed a
gallon of Methanol to 30 gallons of gas twice a day for 10 days then
bought a diesel generator.   Since then I have rebuild a lot of Onan 2
cylinder engines on fire pumps.  To get the volume and pressure from the
pump to meet the certification requirements, we have to use Premium
unleaded.  On a 20 hp engine running a 21/2 inch pump, the premium will
increase the pressure fmom about 95 lbs to 135...   That is a big
difference!!!!

Cecil in OKla