[AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

toma toma at risingnet.net
Wed Aug 15 14:09:17 PDT 2007

First I would like to send a big thank you to:Mike, charlie, Farmer, Rick,
Ken and Richard for your in depth and VERY valuable answers. As many of
you know I have been on the list since the Forsythe County days. Of recent
years I have felt somewhat like an outcast and mostly lurk unless I think
my comment might be welcome because it is something that I really know a
lot about like crawlers, welding and certain facets of "barnyard
technology". There is a lot of competition for just who has the right
answer. Fortunately this does not lead to desention so much on this list
as some of the other boards I follow.

Now I know the secret...dont answer...ask.

I am overwhelmed by the responses. I am sure they will be valuable to
others who may be reading or lurking.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Ken Knierim wrote:

> I've seen a small JD crawler with a brush hog being used for clearing
> desert brush in this area. It had a 3 point on it so I suspect there
> are a few that are out there. My guess is that a crawler is going to
> cost more to haul around (tow vehicle wear and fuel) than a comparable
> wheeled tractor. It's also going to cost more to run, if you factor in
> undercarriage wear, and might be more of a hassle if you're grading up
> to paved roads. The wheeled tractor can go right across the road but
> the crawler might tear the pavement up...
>

> On 8/15/07, Rick Weaver <Rick_Weaver at hilton.com> wrote:
>> Just curious, are there crawlers with 3pt hitches you could put a blade
>> behind?  If you're grading in the wet season, you'll just end up making
>> puddles deeper (at least that's how it works with me).
>>
>> I would think a crawler with less pounds/square inch ground pressure
>> would do a better job grading.  Or better yet, a small dozer?

I have an 8C Cat 20 that would be usefull with a 3 pt hitch. Richard
Walker sent me pictures of one that he built for a Cat 22 I believe. The
main reason I am not considering this is it would leave Cat tracks on the
finished road and make a mess in turnarounds. It is really more my style
though.