[AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 07:58:25 PDT 2007

I've seen a small JD crawler with a brush hog being used for clearing
desert brush in this area. It had a 3 point on it so I suspect there
are a few that are out there. My guess is that a crawler is going to
cost more to haul around (tow vehicle wear and fuel) than a comparable
wheeled tractor. It's also going to cost more to run, if you factor in
undercarriage wear, and might be more of a hassle if you're grading up
to paved roads. The wheeled tractor can go right across the road but
the crawler might tear the pavement up...

My guess is that a wheeled tractor would be a better fit for this. I
would look for something with a pretty serious 3-point, as noted
before having down pressure. There might be an old construction type
that would fit the bill, and I would lean toward a diesel as well. In
this area there seem to be more than a few doing this kind of work
using small Massey tractors, some Ford construction units and a number
of Case construction tractors. I haven't used them but I've seen some
really nice work from them.

On the subject of moving dirt, seems to me someone mentioned that if
you want to move dirt it takes weight, both on the tractor and on the
blade. A heavy blade box blade (they call them Gannons around here)
with hydraulic adjustable scarifier teeth seems to be the ticket. You
might look around and see what other folks are using in your area as
that might help with the decision.

Hope this helps.

Ken in AZ