[AT] Need advice on 3pt Tractor

toma toma at risingnet.net
Tue Aug 14 23:38:22 PDT 2007

All of my tractors are Caterpillars. I have never owned a wheel tractor. I
want to look for a wheel tractor with a 3 point hitch that I can set up
with a grader blade. I worked on a ranch for a while that had an old
Massey Furgusen that I think was about a 50 hp tractor. I got to be pretty
good at grading roads with it. Last year I rented a 4wd Ford that I think
was about 30 hp, it did and OK job too.

I want to get a tractor that I can easily move on a trailer behind a 3/4
ton pickup. In our area most of the houses are on 5 acre parcels so most
have extensive driveways, the soil is mostly DG. I want to see if I can
finance a career change by grading driveways during the wet season.

What I am thinking about is a '50's or 60's model tractor in the
$2000-$3000 range. I know most of you guys are more knowlegeable about
tractors like this than I am so I am asking for recommendations as to make
and model that would be good for this purpose.

There are lots of tractors around this part of California so I figure I
just need to visulize what I want and one will show up. This visualization
technique has always worked well for me in the past. A while back I
visualized a D8 and one showed up right away.

Thanks,

Tom