[AT] OT: Old folks and young folks

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 27 17:37:36 PDT 2007

Reading the list recently brought to mind my Mom and Martha during my
boyhood.  Martha was my Grandmother, but not my real Grandmother.  My Mom's
Mom passed away long before I was born, so I never knew her.  Martha was
Grandpa's second wife.  We spent time with them nearly every weekend as I
grew up.

That being said, Martha (of English decent) would often make rash statements
about a lot of various subjects.  When Martha wasn't there, Mom would
comment that Martha was nuts.  Mom thought many of Martha's statements were
too far out to be true.  Well, I still smile to think about that subject
during Mom's older years.  From time to time when I visited with Mom, she
would say, "Remember how I used to think Martha was nuts because she said
such and such?" (Martha at this point has long since passed away).  Well,
the other day this happened, or that happened and I found out that Martha
was right.  Then Mom would laugh.  She would laugh often.

Whenever I hear younger people scoff at the statements of old people, I
chuckle to myself. Wait until you have been around another 40 years, Sonny.
You may learn a little.  I am not so silly as to believe all that I hear.
Granted, some people are full of bull, but life can be full of many, many
lessons.

Just my 2 cents.

Charlie V. in WNY