[AT] Add-on hydraulics and power steering?

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Sun Apr 22 22:22:07 PDT 2007

The most novel idea for power steering for an old tractor that I have seen
was to take the system off an old combine and use it on a tractor. The one
I saw would probably only work on a wide front tractor. They put the
steering cylinder from the combine on the tie rods of the tractor; they
then removed all steering from the tractor and replaced it with the
steering wheel and steering moter from the combine. Then they just ran
hoses from the steering motor to the steering cylinder and to the pump. For
the pump they used a power steering pump from a small truck. The system
worked great, however they were rather crude when they put it all together.
When I do something like this, I try to make it look halfways decent. For
instance, when they mounted the power steering pump, they cut a hole in the
hood and mounted the pump behind and above the radiator and above the hood.
I thought it looked like he$$, but it worked great and they were happy with
it. On the other hand, I am not the correct police, and have long been a
firm believer in the policy of you do it your way and I'll do it my way. In
this case, they thought of something I never thought of that is a great
idea. People doing things there own way is how new things get developed.
Also if you do something that works and you are happy with it; life is
great. Just a few late night thoughts.
Greg Hass
Michigan