[AT] saga/rope/F-20

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Tue Apr 17 10:08:01 PDT 2007

It's amazing to me how well some things were thought out on much of the old
equipment. Back when we used our IH Super C for much of our work, a couple
of things used a rope, our grain drill being the main one. This tractor had
a special place behind the seat, factory equiped, to tie the rope. Being
young at the time, I wasn't up on things, but I always thought that bracket
with a hole in it was awfully thin and a little sharp. In later years, I
realized that the bracket was spring steel, and that it was thin and sort
of sharp so that if the implement unhooked, the rope would be cut before
the operator was thrown off the seat. We generally used a wire bent into a
hook to hook to the bracket; not to save the rope but because it was easier
to hook up than threading the rope through the hole and tying a knot in it.
Greg Hass