[AT] Way OT Computer Virus question

Stuart Harner sharner at starband.net
Sat Apr 14 06:48:10 PDT 2007

Charlie,

Without knowing what virus you did have, it is kind of hard to know what is going
on now.

However, here is a scenario based on past experience:

The bug you caught managed to get your email (and possibly others from your
address book) and sent it to someone.  That someone has either passed it on for
payment from spammers or is using it himself for evil doing.  The emails you are
getting are nothing more than spam, trying to get you to either buy something, or
worse yet, follow the instructions they send, which will either re-infect your PC
or open some ports, and expose your PC to more evil doing.

I would bet that if you spent some time (a waste in my opinion) tracking down the
source of these emails, they are not legitimate ISPs.

In any case, keep doing what you are doing and ignore the emails, unless you get
one from your ISP, in that case, call them, don't reply.

I use trendmicro.com for HouseCall online virus scan when I get a system that has
a bad virus.  Some viruses disable your onboard virus scanner and firewall.  Some
are even tricky enough to make it look like they are running.  I have also seen
viruses that prevent the installation of a new anti-virus or firewall program.
There is some nasty stuff out there.

If you run a resident (up to date) virus scan, an online virus scan, adware, and
spybot type programs and they all come up clean, you are probably virus free.
Just ignore the spam.

If you know the name of the specific virus you think you have, check out some
anti-virus sites, they will probably have specific removal instructions posted.
Follow them carefully, especially if you have to edit the registry.

Let us know how it goes.

Stuart