[AT] Well, I guess I didn't really want it to be easy

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 19:31:30 PDT 2006

This is from a the website (About : Auto Repair) I think this will  explain
how your ignition system works.
Walt

  The battery is the source of the voltage for the spark we need to  ignite
the mixture at the proper microsecond in the cylinder. This spark  requires
thousands of volts to occur, as much as 120,000 volts. Where do we get  these
thousands of volts? The ignition coil is the source of the high voltage we  need.
The coil is a simple transformer the steps up battery voltage to the
thousands of volts the spark plugs need. The coils has two sides, there is the  12
volt or primary side. This side has a few hundred turns of a large diameter
wire and builds up the magnetic field in the coils. The other side is the high
voltage or secondary side. This side has thousands of turns of smaller diameter
 wire. The coil uses "electromagnetic induction" to create the high voltage.
When  we turn off the voltage on the primary side, the collapsing magnetic
field  induces a voltage in the secondary side producing the thousands of volts
the  spark plugs need.
In a conventional ignition system, the  switching on and off of the primary
voltage was done with a set of Breaker  Points. The points were set inside the
distributor and rode on a cam on the  distributor shaft. This cam would have
4, 6 or 8 lobes, depending on how many  cylinders the engine had. When the
points were closed, current flowed into the  primary side of the coil creating the
magnetic field. When the cam lobe opens  the points, the current is turned
off and the magnetic field collapses.