[AT] tractor wreck

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Sep 24 06:29:27 PDT 2006

When I am driving and encounter a piece of agricultural machinery moving
slowly down the road, I drop back about 100' and put my flashers on. I
figure I only loose a couple of minutes of travel time and maybe provide
a little protection for the operator for that short time. Vehicle
drivers are much more apt to respond properly to a car/truck with
flashers than a tractor with an SMV placard on the back.

Mike

John Hall wrote:
> A friend of mine got sideswiped by a tractor- trailer the other day on a
> 4 lane highway about a mile from my house. The road was straight and the
> trucker would have been able to see him for over 3/4 mile. They never
> have found one of the rear tires off the tractor---think it rolled off
> in a briar patch/woods. Punctured lung, broke ribs, broken verterbrae in
> his neck etc. He's in ICU and appears to be there for a while. The trip
> he was taking took about an hour on his tractor--he was changing farms
> to mow hay. I know it could happen anywhere at anytime but I somewhat
> believe this is to blame on practically no agriculture left in our area
> and drivers just not expecting to run up on something driving going
> 17mph. To those of you who have to get out on the road with you tractors
> be careful.
>
> John Hall

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

War is so unjust and ugly that all who wage it must try to
stifle the voice of conscience within themselves.
-Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)