[Farmall] restoration questions

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 14:46:56 PDT 2006

BG-
 I don't know too very much about "restorations".  I am of  the opinion that (originally...at the factory) when these machines  rolled off of the assembly line, a "bang up" paint job was not "job  one".
  My point (I guess) is are you intending to make your tractor better  in terms of appearance than when it was brand spanking new?  Don't  misunderstand me...it is your item and your investment of time/money  and (most importantly) what is going to make you proud at the end of  the day.
 I keep my various machines clean and tidy, but I would not  be overly interested in taking my old J/D 1010 Industrial Crawler and  painting her up to look like a 2006 Mustang in that alarming yellow  color.
  To each his own and my very best of wishes to you and to your "old gal".
  JM

Bobby Guilbeau <bguilbea at bellsouth.net> wrote:  I know I will get differing opinions on what to do but here goes anyway.

I am undertaking my first restoration project.

Thus for I have decided to sand/garnet blast as many parts as possible
during disassembly and repaint before assembly

All of the sheet metal on the old bird (1943 AV) is pitted

After blasting do I need to prime then fill or fill then prime?

I am planning on using DuPont 615 S VariPrime as my primer on the sheet
metal parts

While lurking for the past couple of years I have come to the understanding
that I would be better off top coating with an automotive paint that uses a
hardener versus the IH paint available from the dealer.  Is this so?

Bobby Guilbeau, Ranger

Evangeline Area Council - BSA

St. Landry, LA