[AT] Chevy Astro

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Sun Nov 12 14:33:25 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----

Sorry, Farmer, but it sounds like you never changed the 240-D oil filter.  I
owned sever that I had to rebuild because of that difficulty.  The filter
element goes in the can and then the old pre-filter goes in after it.  Both
must be in place for the filter to work.  Then it has to go up through the
suspension, around the corner, and be blindly screwed in place.  The next
unsuspecting guy reaches up through the suspension to remove the filter and
with the black inky oil running up his arm never notices the little
pre-filter falling in the drain pan.  From that time forward the engine is
running with a non-operating filter.  That kills the poor little diesel. :-(

I still have the special tooling used to adjust the transmissions and other
tooling.  The dealer used to borrow mine.

George Willer

	You are supposed to change oil???    ;-)    I do seem to recall that
pre-screen. The first thing I did was acquire a book on it. That 240-D had a
questionable tranny in it when I bought it (and compression was a little
low), otherwise it had been pretty well restored inside and out. When the
tranny finally got worse I checked on having it rebuilt and it was extra
pricey. Instead I found a good one in a car salvage yard in Indy called "Old
Cars For Fun". The PO had just done a full engine rebuild before dying from
a heart attack and that was to be the last job before painting it. The "Old
Cars" guy bought it for the engine for one he was redoing otherwise he
didn't deal in foreign cars. I figured since the PO was driving it daily and
thought it was worth restoring that the tranny must have been OK. I gave
$125 for the tranny and paid an alley mechanic I know that knew about them
another $125 to put it in. I was right, it was a great tranny.  The tranny
installation was pretty straight forward but I was trying to get corn run at
the time and wanted to head to TN just as soon as I got done with the corn.
The compression was no problem except in cold weather then you had to carry
a few thousand feet of extension cord so you could keep it plugged in for
starting. It was a great driving car that handled fantastically in the
mountains.

--
"farmer"

The brave may not live forever but the easily frightened may never live at
all.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net