[AT] Chevy Astro

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Sun Nov 12 20:54:09 PST 2006

Frobl,

The transmission was unique.  It was a 4 speed that was controlled only by
RPM and throttle position.  It required a special tool to synchronize the
two.  I still have mine.

The low compression is certainly a problem for starting.  I've helped a few
by giving them new rings.  Chevy rings if the lands are a little worn.
Funny thing... their cam ground pistons are so expensive that it's practical
to machine the ring grooves if necessary, bore the cylinders, and add
sleeves to bring them back to stock size and re-use the original pistons
that don't seem to wear at all!!!  25 years ago pistons were over $200
apiece.  They're probably $500 or more by now.

George Willer