[Ford-ferguson] 8N electrical problems

carl.baker at pnl.gov carl.baker at pnl.gov
Tue May 16 11:44:27 PDT 2006

If you've got a good battery and good connections and the starter won't
turn the motor over then you have a bad starter.  Usually the problem is
with the battery or the connections, so you've tried the right things
first, but it wouldn't hurt to check again.  A bad starter would be
unrelated to leaving the key on.  It's possible to crank-start these
tractors if you have a crank (be careful and do a bit of research first
- it's possible to get beat up pretty badly crank-starting things).

Leaving the key on probably fried the points, which is why it
died after running for a little while.  You should be able to get a
tuneup kit from a number of places (New Holland, N-Complete, Yesterday's
Tractors, etc). The point gap should be 0.025 inches (so should the plug
gap).

On 16 May, Victor Wilson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new subscriber.  I have had a 1951 8N that I bought rebuilt 6
> years ago, and use as an acreage tractor.
>
> After starting and running fine earlier this month, I left it for
> several days with the keyswitch in the on position. It was dead when I
> went to start it. I jumped it, and it ran for about 20 minutes then
> sputtered and died. When I tried to restart it, it was absolutely
> dead. I tried to jump start it, but it would not even try to turn
> over. I replaced the battery cables and tried a different battery,
> with no luck.  The solenoid(?) clicked whenever I pushed the start
> button.
>
> I've got the manuals on order, but wonder if anyone has any ideas that
> might let me get her started, as the pasture grass is getting tall
> enough to hide deer, and I really need to mow.

-- carl
Carl Baker
Richland, WA 509-375-2724