[Ford-ferguson] 8N electrical problems

Victor Wilson VTWilson at pol.net
Tue May 16 10:35:05 PDT 2006

Hello,

I am a new subscriber.  I have had a 1951 8N that I bought rebuilt 6 years
ago, and use as an acreage tractor.

After starting and running fine earlier this month, I left it for several
days with the keyswitch in the on position. It was dead when I went to
start it. I jumped it, and it ran for about 20 minutes then sputtered and
died. When I tried to restart it, it was absolutely dead. I tried to jump
start it, but it would not even try to turn over. I replaced the battery
cables and tried a different battery, with no luck.  The solenoid(?)
clicked whenever I pushed the start button.

I've got the manuals on order, but wonder if anyone has any ideas that
might let me get her started, as the pasture grass is getting tall enough
to hide deer, and I really need to mow.