[Farmall] Proper 12V alternator for Super A? ...and more

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu May 11 07:24:12 PDT 2006

If you look at
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/farmall_340/340_upgrade_09.html> you
will see how I converted my Farmall 340 to an alternator. While the 340
engine is different from the Farmall Super A, the generator mounting
bracket is the same (or close enough). The main thing is to use a
"universal" alternator mounting bracket that can be obtained from
Valu-Bilt, T.H.E. Company, or probably several other suppliers. With
that bracket, you can mount almost any alternator to almost any tractor
very easily.

As far as the seals on the input shaft of the hydraulic pump, they
should be available as part of a "rebuild kit" from Case IH, or you can
just match up the O rings. If the rings have just hardened and worn but
not started to cut grooves in the shaft, replacing them with new rings
should be fine. But if the shaft is worn slightly, then you might want
to polish the shaft a little and use oversize rings. If the shaft is
visibly worn, then you might want to think about using a C-R or similar
repair sleeve. The repair sleeves are not cheap, but they are a LOT less
expensive than a replacement pump. Note that sleeves are not returnable,
so you need to make sure you get the right one the first time (don't ask
me how I learned this).

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
- Edward R. Murrow, journalist (1908-1965)