[AT] Old JD Planters

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 13:37:08 PDT 2006

I just acquired a JD 494 planter to replace my worn out 290.  Then I saw parts for the 290 on Ebay, so I'm going to fix it up to sell...

I serviced and actually planted my years corn crop with the "new" 494 after work yesterday.  I've been waiting about 10 days for dry ground. It's working OK, but I still have a few things to get right.  I stole an old AC hydralic cylinder from my AC 60 combine, I rarely use it, everything else was busy.  This makes the planter nearly jump out of the ground, I think the volume of the cylinder is too low vs. the volume of the tractor (MF 255).  I'm afraid I'll break off the row markers if I forget to slow down at the ends.

I'm also in the market for some milo plates, I'm 2 short of the individual cell (2 part) plates, but I think there is a plastic plate BSORG that uses 24 cells with multiple milo seeds per cell.  For that matter, I think a small corn plate would probably work for my use planting milo, just use a slower sprocket maybe.

Now to spray some roundup and get ready for beans!