[AT] Deere plant visit

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Thu May 4 13:46:39 PDT 2006

My dad had a McCormick horse drawn mower, as far as I remember.  Now
that was one colorful piece of equipment.  Red, blue, cream.  Used for
road ditch mowing, pulled by an A John Deere.  The tractor mower was a
Deere #5 used for haying.  It had a steel wheel and foot operated lift
until converted in the fifties to rubber tire and hydraulic cylinder
lift and me as operator.  I wasn't big enough to lift the bar!  The
scrap iron man eventually got the #5. The John Deere tractor mounted hay
sweep along with a horse drawn hay sweep and the overshot stacker were
consumed by a brush burning fire that got out of hand.  Alcohol may have
been involved. <g>  The same fire and iron man got the Deere corn binder.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA