[AT] Deere plant visit

Bill "Bear" Hood mmman at netscape.com
Thu May 4 14:58:22 PDT 2006

In my misspent youth, I have more hours cutting common and coastal bermuda hay, hybred sorghum, and johnson grass with #9 and #39 and later JD pitman mowers than I care to remember.  I started cutting with at least 3 # 39"s and the first two had black bars and black cycles and the last one had a yellow bar and black cycle.  I later had to order a new 9' bar for a trail mower and it came with no paint at all.  I guess it was what JD had at the plant or if they had no paint at all.  When I started buying and replacing JD pitmans, they were green, but soon they were shipped varnished and stained with a yellow decal and I have also received black ones once at the Athens dealership with the yellow decal. I have a brand new one, varnished,  in the barn somewhere.

I later had a  2 14' JD Self Propelled Swathers and they were  built by McKee in Canada and sometimes parts would come in with McKee paint on them rather than JD green or yellow.  I also remember cultivating rose bushes on a brand new Super A Farmall that had two different color paints on the plow parts--this would have been in '55 if my rememberer is correct.