[AT] pulling sleeves

steve sewell sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Mar 21 20:45:25 PST 2006

At 01:48 AM 3/21/2006 -0500, Walt wrote:
>Ken if all is in perfectly clean condition and you oil everything well
>including the "O" rings then you should be able to just push them in by
>hand.

I think maybe that 'by hand' needs explained. First as Walt posted it needs
to be nice and clean in the block where the o-rings seal. Emery cloth can
be used to smooth up any pits or ruff spots. Now for 'lube' on the o-rings
I have always used liquid dish washing soap (the really cheap stuff - not
scented). Now to seat them Install in the block till the first o-ring  is
ready to go into the bore. At this point you need to apply pressure
STRAIGHT down as not to cock the sleeve and cut the o-ring. I have always
used an eye bolt in a head bolt hole, with a small board across the liner,
and a pry bar to apply pressure on that board in the center of the liner.
This way you can "feel" the o-rings go into the bore. After a few you know
the difference in the 'that felt good' and the 'hummm, maybe I better take
that back out and see if I cut that one'. (-;

>I have installed a lot of these on Cat engines and that is what I have
>experienced.

Me too Walt. Seven+ years as a shop and field wrench for the Caterpillar
dealer in West Virginia - in my younger days.

- Steve

Steve Sewell
Albany, Ohio USA
sewell at atis.net