[AT] pulling sleaves

ken knierim wild1 at cpe-66-1-196-61.az.sprintbbd.net
Tue Mar 21 06:28:13 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 23:48, DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:
> Ken if all is in perfectly clean condition and you oil everything well
> including the "O" rings then you should be able to just push them in by hand.  They
> may stickup up slightly but the head will take care of that when you put it
> on.

That's kind of what I was hoping for. The sleeves in this were rusted on
most of the surfaces except where the O-ring met the sleeve so hopefully
by removing the rust (which looks to be mostly a light surface rust in
the critical dimensions) I hope to be able to install it a lot more
easily than it came apart.

The other thing to note about this engine is that it got a lot of
temperature cycling over its age... it got a lot of rather cold winters
on it in eastern MT before I hauled it down here to the Scorch Belt.
Might have gotten cold enough for things to open up slightly and allow
water (ice?) onto some of the finished surfaces and cause it to stick or
close up slightly. Or maybe my Uncle slobbered Permatex over everything
and just glued the derned thing together; he might have had it apart
when he was in high school according to Dad.

> I have installed a lot of these on Cat engines and that is what I have
> experienced.
>
> Walt Davies
> Cooper Hollow Farm
> Monmouth, OR  97361
> 503 623-0460

Thanks Walt. This is the first wet-sleeve engine I've had apart so I
have no first-hand knowledge. Descriptions I've heard from others pretty
much agree with what you've said.

Ken in AZ