[AT] pulling sleeves

ken knierim wild1 at cpe-66-1-196-61.az.sprintbbd.net
Wed Mar 22 08:14:23 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 21:45, steve sewell wrote:
> At 01:48 AM 3/21/2006 -0500, Walt wrote:
> >Ken if all is in perfectly clean condition and you oil everything well
> >including the "O" rings then you should be able to just push them in by
> >hand.
>

> I think maybe that 'by hand' needs explained. First as Walt posted it needs
> to be nice and clean in the block where the o-rings seal. Emery cloth can
> be used to smooth up any pits or ruff spots. Now for 'lube' on the o-rings
> I have always used liquid dish washing soap (the really cheap stuff - not
> scented). Now to seat them Install in the block till the first o-ring  is
> ready to go into the bore. At this point you need to apply pressure
> STRAIGHT down as not to cock the sleeve and cut the o-ring. I have always
> used an eye bolt in a head bolt hole, with a small board across the liner,
> and a pry bar to apply pressure on that board in the center of the liner.
> This way you can "feel" the o-rings go into the bore. After a few you know
> the difference in the 'that felt good' and the 'hummm, maybe I better take
> that back out and see if I cut that one'. (-;
>
> >I have installed a lot of these on Cat engines and that is what I have
> >experienced.
>
> Me too Walt. Seven+ years as a shop and field wrench for the Caterpillar
> dealer in West Virginia - in my younger days.

I appreciate the pointers. I've had a little experience with O-rings
from working on semiconductor equipment... and yeah, they don't like
sharp edges much. :)

In this Case, the O-ring gets installed in a groove at the bottom of the
block so it's not likely to go anywhere, but I can see where I'll need
to make sure they are awfully clean before I install them. The lube is
good too... all I could think of was Krytox (the vacuum grease we used
on semi tools) and I'm not sure how that would fare. Soap makes sense.

I like the pointer about the eye bolt... that sounds like a great idea
and I think I have a couple that will fit.

Once again, thanks for all the help. This list is great. And Thanks
again, Spencer!

Ken in AZ