[AT] TIG welding--a little OT

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Fri Mar 17 18:35:20 PST 2006

 This reply is to both John and Larry.

About 20 years ago I purchased a small TIG accessory for use with my DC
welder.  Its main use was for fusing stainless steel milk line fittings.
The only time a filler rod was used was when through my own screw up there
was more than 100% penetration. (aka a burned hole in the pipe.)

As long as you have a good DC welder, the smoother the better, that can be
adjusted to a low enough current setting for your material thickness you are
to weld then all you need is the tungsten electrode holder with hoses,
regulator and a bottle of gas.

All my stainless pipe fusing was done before the auto darkening hoods. So I
had to have some really good shop lighting to see the barely visible joint
in the pipe sections.

When I purchased my auto darkening hood they were fairly new and the cost
was around $250.00.  The degree of darkening and the delay before change
back are both adjustable.

This hood is one of the best tool investments ever.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA