[AT] TIG welding--a little OT

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Mar 18 02:52:54 PST 2006

I use the ~$60 auto darkening, adjustable density, helmet from HF for
flux core wire welding and for regular stick, and I am very happy with
it. Not being an experienced or frequent welder (and not a very good
one), it made striking the arc and creating a nice bead infinitely
easier. The only problem (and I suspect this is true with any auto
darkening helmet) is that you have work outdoors with the sun behind you
or off to the side - if you face the sun, it will darken automatically.
Not only is striking an arc easier, but you don't have to keep flipping
the  mask up and down all the time to see what you did and where you are
going.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
Juan Ramon Jimenez (1881-1958), Spanish writer