[AT] TIG welding--a little OT

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Mar 17 17:44:10 PST 2006

LOL!  That's the very first thing they taught us in the Casting,
Welding, and Heat Treating course I took 50 years ago -- bend the end of
the filler rod.  It does two things: It lets you know which end is hot,
and it keeps it from rolling.  Then the big question becomes: Which end
is hot?  I always bend the cool end.  That way I don't have to keep
putting new bends in it.

I just had a phone conversation with my Gentle Giant machinist friend
about getting together for a little "chip therapy" this weekend.  I
needed to know the cross-sectional shape he can handle in his power
hacksaw.  I mentioned this thread that's been going on with ATIS.  One
thing led to another and he commented that he "can't live without" his
auto-darkening helmet.  He did a bunch of comparisons before he bought
and ended up with one from Harbor Freight when they had them on sale.
He said he just couldn't justify the high prices of the ones at the
welding shops.  Has anyone on the list had experience with one --
expensive or cheap -- good, bad, or indifferent?

Larry