[AT] Shale or gravel?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Jun 12 10:20:13 PDT 2006

Farmer, your reminiscences about stone reminded me of my youth.  We
lived across the section from May Sand & Gravel and did business with
them off and on over the years.  Their pit got bigger and bigger and as
our neighbors died off, sold out, etc, "The Pit" became the owner and
they spread out to the point that the Blue Stone quarry covers almost
all of the section except the 45 acres that is our family farm (my
brother still lives there.)  They're mining somewhere in the nature of
300 feet deep, but they have run out of space for the overburden and
sand that is so prevalent in the area.  (There's a reason that the early
settlers named it Sand Point.)  Of course, the mining process has had a
detrimental effect on the environment.  They destroyed the upper water
table and all the sewage from miles around leaches toward the pit.
Wells have to be drilled around 450 feet deep to get potable water and
it's so hard you can hear it clank as it comes through the pipes.  The
second growth timber in the woodlot at the edge of the pit (80 to
90-year old trees) is dying from drought -- no ground water.  My brother
says one of these days they'll run completely out of stone (that's why
they aren't going deeper) and he'll have some prime lakefront property.
:-)

Larry