[AT] Shale or gravel?

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Jun 12 06:43:53 PDT 2006

	We are pretty lucky here as we have about anything we want close at hand. Years ago
the roads were mostly gravelled with what is called "pit run" which includes
everything from sand to stuff up to about 4". The average around here is from sand
to about an inch and a half rocks. For many applications it is screened to about 2"
max. They don't use any on the roads much here anymore since all roads are paved
except a few short dead enders. Those are about all crushed white limestone. Most
driveways are now crushed hard  white limestone. We also have a softer limestone
that is sometimes called brown or yellow. It is seldom used for anything but base or
barn lots. The hard white is sometimes referred to as blue stone.
	 It is becoming more common to use crushed igneous rock which is quite hard and is
used because people like its warmer look. Some shale is used in parts of the state
but not at all here.
	Southern Indiana is famous for its limestone especially from around the Bedford
Indiana area. I was surprised many years ago when I was in New York and Washington
DC at how many of the huge famous structures and monuments had tiny signs on them
telling about the stone being from Bedford Indiana. I keep going to other areas and
buying stuff to try to bring the proper amount of gravitational materials back to
the area to replace the stone...   <(^¿^)>
	The little 17 acre place over in the next county has "Big Flatrock River" running
through it. In much of the area it has a bottom of flat limestone. Back in the early
part of the 20th century an old family friend had a "quarry" there just down river
from our place there. He actually just worked out of the river for most of the
stone. He had a small crusher and a wooden hopper with a screen. most of his
production went to early road building. In one part of our place there is a section
of the river that flows below a 40' limestone bluff (good fishing spot   <(^¿^)> ).
I cleared a camping spot on the opposite shore many years ago and it makes a
beautiful camping place. I really need to go back and clear it again and reconstruct
the drive but I just never seem to have time anymore. I have not camped (except a
few tractor shows) or fished in years. I don't do a lot of stuff I used to... I
think is has to do with some mysterious increase in gravitational pull... There are
at least 4 large stone quarry pits within a mile of that tiny village but only one
is in use. The others are allowed to fill with water and end up as deep cold lakes.
About the only activity is a little fishing and some scuba diving.
	There are also two other large stone quarries within a few miles of the farm here.
There are also 4 or 5 large gravel pits within a few miles of us. I can go about 30
miles north east and buy peat direct from the bogs there. Nice for garden stuff but
not worth a piddly for driveways...   <(^¿^)>

--
"farmer"

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack
me at once.   <(^¿^)>

Refurbished Shopsmith's
Good used SPT's
http://www.indiana-robinson.0catch.com/