[AJD] Aftermarket Power Steering??? 2nd try

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Jan 25 15:39:51 PST 2006

Dee/Steve:

It seems like the hoses needed to be "hell for stout" and as a result are
hard to route around to get them hidden. I'm trying to find out what the
flow and pressure requirements are.  I'm hoping that with maybe newer hose
technology, smaller and more pliable hoses could be used to allow a little
more flexibility in the routing. I can possibly see a way of getting the
reservoir between the gas tank and the crankcase cover but no way to get the
hoses connected as well. Maybe a different configuration tank would solve
the problem.

If the doggone power steering didn't work so well, I'd just take it off due
to its ugliness. Don't really need the power steering but with a loader on
it sure is handy. I guess it does show what farmers did to solve a problem
when they didn't have factory power steering. I sure can see why one would
go to a salvage yard and try to find a factory setup off of a later tractor.
But quite a bit of expense and a whole bunch of work and then one ends up
with a "bastard" tractor. I doubt farmers gave a tinkers damn about how it
looked.

This particular Behlen unit seems to work slightly better than the factory
power steering on my 520 and 620 but they haven't been "tuned up" yet
either.  These units came out before JD introduced Power Steering in 1954 so
these probably forced JD to provide a competitive solution.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com