[AT] Was:JD Model 4C plow; Now: emigration

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Jan 21 08:59:40 PST 2006

Because of the bias in our history books, we get led into believing that
EVERYBODY came to this country for "religious freedom".  But when push
comes to shove, that was just one of the reasons and it wasn't
necessarily the main one.  As Mattias says, many of the monuments and
memorials that have been constructed in Europe recognize the famine
conditions that occurred there in the middle of the 19th century as a
major reason for emigrating.  War and the threat of war also was a major
reason for emigration, and for England in particular shipping people out
of the country by force was a way of solving many problems associated
with prisoners, orphans, and others who were viewed as undesirable.

The German-Russians are a fairly unique situation.  Catherine the Great
invited them to settle in areas around the Caspian Sea and promised no
conscription.  They lived there in German speaking enclaves for 150
years and then had to leave because of the political unrest prior to the
Bolshevik revolution.  They couldn't go back to Germany, but
fundamentally were escorted to Vilnius, Lithuania, and shipped to the
states.  Many ended up in a band of farming communities that stretches
from Colorado to the Canadian border.

I found out a little over a year ago, that a main reason for
establishing an English colony at Jamestown, Virginia, was so the
colonists could supply glass bottles and lumber back to the homeland.
The people didn't have much choice about it -- they were indentured.
Our history books paint that situation as "working off the cost of your
passage", but it came closer to being slavery.  Interestingly, once the
forests around Jamestown had been clear cut, the peninsula was no longer
defensible and had to be abandoned.

Larry