[AT] Sandblasting safety

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Wed Jan 4 18:55:52 PST 2006

John, are you using the usual silica sand?  That's the stuff you have to be
careful of.  I always work outside so there's no huge accumulation of
silica dust in the air--but a good dual cartridge type respirator is a must
to protect your lungs.  You probably already knew all this.  Kinda like the
dumb warnings on ladders...."Avoid climbing on ladder as it may cause death
or serious injury!"  A local guy that does sand blasting professionally on
heavy equipment won't use silica sand anymore because of the health
hazard.  He uses river bottom sand, but it's pretty rough for "delicate"
tractor parts.   Rain-X makes a good defogger.  Get it at Walmart,
etc.    John W.