[AJD] The Story of my Styled AR

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 18:54:52 PST 2006

  My Styled AR ran for the first time (since I have
owned it) today.  I have always wanted a styled AR,
just never had the right one come along,  and the ones
out here are transplants from Canada or Montana
usually....  So you have to pay whoever brought it
here..  Here is how this one came about..

    One day early this spring,  Dean calls (or emails)
and makes me an offer I can't refuse..  He has located
a stash of tractors,  has found two that he likes,
(slant dash B,  39 B)  buy has to buy 5 to make the
deal work..  (50 AR,  48 A,  Farmall F20)  Guess who
wound up buying the three that Dean didn't want.

    Now this poor AR was shot.  Bad Block,  and head.
missing radiator,  bad rear wheels and tires,  poor
fenders, no pistons,  rods, carb, mag. etc...  turns
out it had a bad crank but I did not figure that out
till I started digging into it.

    So I pick my new AR off of my trailer with the
crane to unload it,  and one of the rear rims falls
off as it is too rusty to continue on.  I think to
myself,  "I need to find a few things for this one.."
 Out goes the ad in the Northwest Vintage Iron Trader.
  I get a response from Oregon,  "I have all the parts
you need,  but you will have to buy the whole
tractor..."  AR 274126 for the great price of $500
with the promise of having all the right parts!   I
said I would take it sight unseen,  and went down to
pick it up at the end of June when the Northwest Two
Cylinder Expo was going on neaer by.

     The second AR was much better than the first,  so
AR#1 becomes a donor,  #2 get some work done.  #2 was
apart as well,  block,  head,  radiator,  hood,
carb,  all in states of being disassembled.  The head
wound up being cracked,  Radiator had a cracked lower
tank,  and a few other things..  Fortunately I had a
spare head...

     To make what is turning into a long story a
little shorter.  With a new radiator,  magneto and
carb.  It finally coughed to life today and ran pretty
well once I figured out I needed to use a little choke
as the air cleaner is not plumbed in yet.  But it
runs.  Presently I am into it about $1500 including
parts tractor so I don't feel too bad about it yet.  I
still need front tires,  a nose cone and a drawbar.
The rear wheels will need to be dismounted and have
the rims cleaned (calcium filled tires).  It came
witha new front grill screen,  so that was sort of a
bonus.  It had the wrong carb (dltx-72) so I bought
the right one.

     I hope to change the gear oil in the rear end and
take if for a spin tomorrow.

                      Chris