[AT] OT-JD, now sheep

Mike ChaplainHu at aol.com
Mon Feb 20 19:29:10 PST 2006

I have to tell my sheep story. We always had cattle and knew nothing
about sheep. An old gentleman that I was doing some work for while I was
in high school decided he wanted to liquidate his herd of Ramboullet
(sp?) sheep, 12 ewes and one ram. I was chasing after the FFA Lone Star
Farmer    award so I thought another project might help. I purchased the
whole package and they all had papers and were a great looking
ready-made herd, especially the ram. He was magnificent and had
impressive equipment in addition to those horns. Ramboulets rams have
those beautiful curving 360deg  horns like a mountain goat.

He was tame and a pet; therein the problem, as has already been
mentioned. I learned the hard way not to ever turn my back on him. You
could walk up to him and pet him, but when you turned to walk away, he
would nail you. Everything went well with me learning the hard way that
sheep and cattle were different. A sheep will lay down and literally die
of despair, rather than come in to the barn at night.

I had to disperse the herd when my mother spent the entire day "treed"
by this mischievous ram in the barn protected only by our AC CA (tractor
reference) which she couldn't start and drive off because the starter
went bad (and my dad refused to pay to have it rebuilt, so it had to be
hand cranked), while we were all in school. I got off the school bus
that evening to find and extremely angry woman who had spent her entire
day hiding behind the tractor under the supervision of this ornery ram.

No more sheep ever graced our place again,

Mike Atwell in Texas