[AT] OT-JD, now sheep

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Mon Feb 20 17:43:48 PST 2006

This was the problem with this Ram, he was afraid of being cornered by a
human.  When he was with the ewes he was no problem working in the pens or
whatever.  But, if you got him by himself, he would go nuts.  I had sorted
the little rams in the barn and had them in a pen at one end.  I was tagging
them as per the Animal ID requirements in order to take them to the sale
Saturday afternoon.  This was about 9 am Sat morning.  I had most of the
little ones tagged by myself and Dad was in the truck warming up...
Actually that is the way I prefer things...
The ram was to be hauled also and he was in the barn not in the pen.  Dad
started pulling on the stiff barn door and I hollered 3 times to just stay
out, but he paid no attention as usual.  Then he gets the door open and
cannot shut it.  I told him to just get out of the door and let the ram out
because I knew he would go to the light of the open door.  At that time he
was near me in the pen.  The ram started toward the door and Dad decides to
back out of the door instead of just stepping aside.  He got hit right in
the left knee while backing out the door.  Knocked his shoe off too.

Really what happened was he thought he would show that Ram who was boss, and
when he saw 140 lbs of pure muscle coming at him he changed his mind.  It is
really hard for me to be very sympathetic because I told him several times
to stay out.  This has happened before, I work with these animals all the
time and by myself and have only got minor scrapes and cuts from the pens.
Dad thinks because they are small animals he can be the boss and push them
around.  Dad is about 86 now, but I have never knew what I was doing for the
last 53 years....

It was like watching a wreck about to happen that you cannot do anything
about.  I knew when he opened that barn door that he was going to get hurt,
but he would not listen to anything I said..   I really envy guys that can
work with their fathers and have their respect.  Mine thinks I know
nothing..

Oh well...  My sheep are not domestic sheep, they are Barbados.  They are a
3 way cross between Barbado sheep from Barbados, French Moufflin to get the
big curled horns, and suffolk to calm them down enought they only jump as
high as a deer!!!!!!   They are very similar to deer in actions.  They are
great mothers, and tough as a boot.  They can survive on nearly nothing.  My
wheat pasture is literally gone due to the drought.  However, it is
supporting 95 head of these guys.   I only had one problem with the ewe not
claiming her lambs and she did it for 2 lambings.   She will be going to the
sale in about 2 months.  she is probably about 14 years old.

The ram that hit Dad had a full curl of horns that were about 3 1/2 inches
diameter at the base with about a 1 ft diameter curl...  He was 140 lbs with
40 being head and horns!!!   Maybe he will learn to stay clear from now on.
I have no problems with the ewes, and only approach the rams from the side.
Of course grabbing them with the shepherd crook slows them down pretty good.

So, I had to cancel going to a meeting in Wichita for my job so I could stay
home to feed  the sheep and babysit my 86 year old child who cannot walk.  I
would bve very surprised if he did not break it.  The knee is swollen to 1
1/2 times its size.  I can't get him to go to the Doctor, he knows more than
the Dr.  I tried and my wife has tried, so If it hurts bad enough, he will
go..

If I sound irritated, I am.  I really needed to go to that meeting to
network with some folks so I could do some work after retirement....

Sorry guys I just hadda vent.  Stupidity really p**ses me off...!

Cecil in OKla