[AT] Cat 8T 12 Grader

JParks jkparks at flash.net
Tue Feb 14 16:22:22 PST 2006

Len

if you're done with it.by all means sell the thing.............but if you,
your Dad, or sons have a use for it you won't be able to replace it for what
you will sell it for.

Those "tubes" you refer to are the bushings of the track links.........which
explains your stretched out track.  You can count on a thousand dollar bill
for good used track if you can find it, plus a trip to pick it up or some
freight.  The rollers, if tight, can be built up or the collars rebushed if
they are loose.  It doesn't sound like you need to get fancy, just
functional.  Running your track this way, besides inconvenient if you throw
a track, will accelerate the wear on your rear sprockets and round off the
ridges on your front idler, making it ever tougher to keep the track on.

The counterweight was a good idea.  Some owners have even extended their
track frame and added another roller to stabilize the machine.  (also
required lengthening the track adjusting screw)  The early 933 11A track
loader is a good example of how this can be done and how the screw is
designed.  The 933 11A was just the loader version of the D2 5U.

If you can send me a picture, I might be able to identify the blade.  If it
was a Cat blade, you will find on the back of the blade a small tag, (approx
1" tall by 3" wide)riveted on with two rivets, to the right of center on the
back of the moldboard.  It can be anywhere on the right hand side of the
blade but usually on the upper half at least!) If the tag has been removed
or knocked off, you can look for the two rivets, approx 3" apart, and clean
the area between the rivets.  The model of the blade will be stamped there,
between the rivets, underneath where the plate used to be.

If your D2 is late enough, you can put a direct elect starter on it cheaper
than you can repair the starting engine.  Look below the starter pinion
group, on left hand rear of flywheel housing, and there should be a flat
surface there.  If it is covered up by a plate, held in place by 3 5/8" cap
screws, a 24 volt starter will fit there.  If the plate is missing and the
flywheel housing is solid, it can be drilled and tapped to accept the
starter.  I know of a few people who have done this while still on the
machine.  I would not trust myself to do this but would pull the engine, and
let a machine shop cut the holes and tap the housing.

If you decide to go this way, let me know and I can send you a template.

John Parks
Boise, ID