[AT] Cat 8T 12 Grader

JParks jkparks at flash.net
Tue Feb 14 13:58:46 PST 2006

Len

The front hydraulic setup, if it is original Cat, is a combination pump,
tank, and valve. (look for a tag on backside of the tank for hydraulic model
and serial number)
If it is just a lone pump up front, with lines coming back to a valve on the
fender, and a remote hydraulic tank nearby it is a non Cat attachment.
(Could be LaPlant-Choate, even  LeTourneau, or something created by a
previous owner.)

If there is no center pivot on a C-Frame that the blade mounts to, it
probably is not an angle blade.  You might still have a Cat blade, but a
"Straight"  blade, which will only tilt using the upper rh or lh diagonal
braces.  The angle blade is used for sidecasting and will angle to the Right
or Left (usually in at least a total of a 60 degree arc from right to left,
thereabouts, I never actually measured the arc!)

The reason for throwing track is a result of probably several things
operating together; including internal stretch of the links, loose or worn
front idlers, improper adjustment of track tensioner, loose or missing
rollers.  Operating on flat ground, with no reverse turns will help keep the
track on.  Making a reverse turn, especially on a hillside or slope, will
roll a track right off the front idler.

I don't know how your machine, or whether you have large front idlers or
not, but they are an asset if you have a blade on the machine.  They will
give you more stability and reduce the rear end rearing up and bouncing when
the blade engages the ground (creating a washboard affect)

Fire it up....you may enjoy the ride and decide on keeping it!

John Parks
Boise, ID