[AT] OT - piano

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Tue Feb 7 13:00:14 PST 2006

I used to live in Newton, Massachusetts, an older but nice neighborhood
outside Boston. Full of big Victorian houses, many of which were being
bought and fixed up by younger couples.

One day, when driving home from work, I went down one of the nicer
tree-lined streets, past a place that had been on the market for a while
and had recently sold. A younger couple had bought it. They had a grand
piano. They tried to move it in a rental truck, apparently with the
husband's college buddies assisting. They didn't use a piano board, nor
did they remove the legs and such. Somehow they wrestled the piano onto
the truck and got it to the new location, where it looked like they
would try to get it inside through the massive double front doors.

Never got the chance. In trying to get the piano off the truck, somebody
let the balance slip. The grand piano flipped upside down and was
resting on the front lawn, all three legs sticking up in the air. The
guy and his buddies were standing around it, dumbstruck. Maybe they were
considering shooting it and putting it out of its misery.

Upside down is NOT a preferred piano storage position.

Bob Seith