[AT] OT - piano

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Feb 7 12:19:57 PST 2006

COG.

That stands for Center of Gravity.  There's nothing wrong with
transporting a piano upright.  I've carted grands, uprights, spinets,
etc, halfway across the country in an upright position or with the
grands laying on their long side.  But you've got to secure them against
rolling or tipping during transit.  It can be done on an open trailer,
but I much prefer to lay a piano down on its back because it's easier to
keep it steady relative to the trailer that way.  Put a 2X4 under the
top side of it so you can get your fingers under it again to stand it
upright, wrap it in moving blankets, cover it with tarps if you're
expecting bad weather, and tie it down with ratchet straps.  Don't use
bungee cords.  Keep the fall board open.  That's the board that covers
the keyboard when you're not using the piano.  Some people get all hyper
about protecting the keys, but I'd much rather replace keys, ivories,
and associated parts rather than to refinish the fall board if something
happens to it.  You should only need one of those open furniture dollies
that they always have on sale at Harbor Freight. Getting the piano onto
the dolly is a two or three person job.  One or two people lift one end
of the piano high enough in the air so that the third person can push
the dolly under the middle of the piano.  When you set it down, then the
piano will be nicely balanced on the dolly and one person can move it
from place to place without any real effort.  It's better once again to
use three or four -- not because of the effort required, but simply to
keep from running into furniture, doorways, up steps, etc.  I always
have a length of cotton rope attached to the dolly so that when it gets
stuck on obstacles you can pull it over the irregularity without sliding
the piano off into the mud or whatever.

Always remove the pedal lyre and the legs from grand pianos when you
move them.  The legs are numbered so you won't get them mixed up.
Typically, you can remove two large wood screws from the top end of the
leg, slide it sideways (toward the center of the piano) to unlatch it
from its wedge socket, and it will then fall off.  Take off the front
left leg first.  That's the one under the bass end of the keyboard.  You
can then let that corner down to the floor and tilt the piano up on the
long side before removing the other two legs.  Some grands have a lock
on the lid so it doesn't fall open, but if not then loop bungee cords or
rope around the whole small end of the piano to keep the lid closed.

The five foot dimension on your trailer is a little tight for being able
to lay the piano down without shifting it on the trailer bed in the
middle of the operation, but if you have enough manual labor handy, it
can be done.  If you want to transport it upright, I would recommend
making a rectangular frame out of dimension lumber that is braced well
enough so you can lash the piano to it and secure the piano and the
frame to the trailer.  I used to have a high-cube box van (a Ford
Courier Mini-Mover that I bought used from U-Haul) that I built a
removable frame inside of so I could roll an upright into the box, tie
it to the frame and head down the road.  A "grand skid" is helpful for
moving grand pianos, too.  All it needs to be is an "L" made out of
dimension lumber that will support the long side of the piano, is tall
enough to protect the keyboard, and is wide enough to protect the full
depth of the piano case.  I had one that we used years ago when we owned
a grand piano and were changing residences every three or four years.  I
didn't bother padding the skid, but used furniture pads on it when
needed.  When we sold the grand, I sent the skid with it.  The new owner
was as happy as a kid at Christmas when I told him he could use the skid
and keep it.

Larry