[AT] Rivet how-to USB

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Mon Feb 6 09:34:47 PST 2006

I presume you're talking about a Dimension rather than an Inspiron,
Steve.  That box design is either old enough that they hadn't integrated
all the peripherals through a single USB controller or else they have a
USB 2.0 controller with an integral 1.0 hub below it for the sockets, OR
Dell didn't bother following the complete standard.  Any of those
options are possible.  It's a four-year old design.  And, not all OS
interfaces treat I/O changes the same.  I'm currently running three
different versions of Windows XP -- all loaded with the latest upgrades,
and I still see three different reactions on the system when I hot plug
items through the USB ports.

One of the things that is conspicuously absent in printed computer specs
is the mention of the USB standard that is being used.  You're lucky to
even have mention of the number of USB sockets that are available.

Larry